Scones are best baked on the day of serving, but you can pre prepare buy rubbing the margarine into the flour and sugar to keep in the fridge in a plastic boxf or up to 3 days, therefore being ready to add the milk and egg at the last minute.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook: 9-10 minutes
450g/1lb self-raising flour
115g/4oz soft margarine
85g/3oz caster sugar
1 egg, beaten (optional)
200ml/7fl oz milk
Serve with strawberry jam and clotted cream
1. Preheat the oven to 160C fan/gas mark 3. Add the flour and margarine to the bowl of an electric mixer and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
2. Add the lightly beaten egg if required and gradually mix in 150ml/¼ pint of milk to make a soft dough. Knead lightly on a flour surface then pat lightly out to a generous 2cm/ ¾ inch thickness,.
3. Stamp out circles using a 7cm/2¾ inch fluted cutter and transfer the scones to a lightly flour dusted baking sheet.
4. Knead the trimmings and continue patting out and cutting until you have used all the dough.
Brush the top of the scones with a little remaining milk, then bake for 5 minutes, then turn around and bake for a further 4-5 minutes until risen and golden brown.
5. Serve warm, split and top with jam and clotted cream.